Connect with us

Business

Filling Stations Will Dispense Autogas In Vehicles From September – Timipre Sylva

Published

on

images 9 2 Filling Stations Will Dispense Autogas In Vehicles From September - Timipre Sylva

The dispensing of autogas into automobiles through selected filling stations across the country will commence by the end of September, the Federal Government has said.
It was gathered that autogas to be dispensed into automobiles and other prime movers include Liquefied Petroleum Gas, Compressed Natural Gas and Liquefied Natural Gas, depending on the type of vehicle.
Documents obtained from the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources in Abuja on Friday stated that the Committee on National Gas Expansion Programme had been assigned to ensure the effective implementation and take off of this initiative.
The NGEP was inaugurated in January this year by the Minister of State for Petroleum, Chief Timipre Sylva, in furtherance of the domestic gas expansion programme of the Federal Government.
Also, officials of the ministry told our correspondent that selected filling stations across all 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory had been informed, as plans to collocate autogas dispensing facilities at the outlets had reached advanced stages.
They said the NGEP would promote gas as replacement fuel and also save the nation the much-needed foreign exchange expended on imported fuels by providing alternatives to petrol, diesel and kerosene.
In one of the documents, the FMPR said the committee had identified autogas development as a key deliverable of the NGEP.
It said, “Consequently, plans have reached advanced stage in line with ministerial directive and support for the development of LPG, CNG and LNG collocation in NNPC owned and operated mega stations in the 36 states and the FCT.
“Under this arrangement, retail outlets will offer a full complement of gas products as transportation fuels in addition to existing white products as cheaper cleaner and more environmentally friendly alternatives.”
It added, “The NNPC and mega retail outlets owners and equipment providers are fully onboard in this objective and measures are in place to achieve a roll out of this programme by end of September 2020 using select NNPC owned outlets as pilots.”
On Wednesday, reported that the Federal Government had ordered the chief executive officers and their lieutenants in agencies under the petroleum ministry to convert all their official vehicles to run on autogas.
It was also gathered that Sylva, who gave the directive in Abuja, had already submitted all his vehicles to be converted to run on gas, as opposed to petrol.
The minister said the conversion of vehicles in his ministry and agencies to run on autogas was to demonstrate to Nigerians that the government was serious with its declaration of 2020 as “the year of gas”.
Sylva said, “I have surrendered my vehicles to the NGEP (National Gas Expansion Programme) to convert all to dual fuel with use of either auto-LPG or auto-CNG.
“And on that premise, I now have the moral backing to direct that all CEOs and their able lieutenants do same by converting all their official vehicles to run on autogas as a demonstration to the Nigerian people that indeed government meant it when we declared this year ‘The Year of Gas.’”
The minister’s Technical Adviser on Gas Business and Policy Implementation, Justice Derefaka, explained that the NGEP committee was engaging large fleet owners, Nigerian Governors Forum, local government associations, conversion companies and dispensing facility owners.
This, he said, was to collaborate in the conversion and establishment of refueling facilities nationwide, leveraging on already existing pipelines and stations.
Derefaka, who is also the Programme Manager, Nigerian Gas Flare Commercialisation Programme, and Programme Manager, Autogas, NGEP, said the collaboration would ease the cost burden of conversion, which was a major impediment to autogas development.
He said, “Also, in order to bridge the gas facility deficit, companies engaged in virtual gas movement have been mobilised in the bid to ensure the development of a virtual gas grid that can serve the emerging domestic gas market.
“Several of these companies have expressed ability and preparedness to meet the October 1st roll out timeline.”
He said the committee initiated the draft of a dual fuel engine importation and domestic manufacturing policy with the objective of pushing it for the endorsement of government as an executive order with effect from January 2021.

Continue Reading
Comments

Business

Customer service week: Underwriter harps on quality service

Published

on

images 2020 10 29T090023.270 Customer service week: Underwriter harps on quality service

AXA Mansard Insurance Plc has marked this year’s Customer Service Week by celebrating its staff and customers who have demonstrated outstanding commitment to the company’s legacy of superior service.

The company has also reiterated its commitment to providing quality service delivery to its customers.

In line with this year’s theme, ‘The Dream Team’, which reflects on the importance of teamwork in providing outstanding service to all customers, the company seized the opportunity to recognise some of its exceptional staff for the outstanding work they have done within their teams and their exemplary service.

According to the firm, these staff distinguished themselves during the year in qualities that create good service experience, qualities such as empathy, adaptability, patience, self-control, consistency, hard work, relentlessness etc.

Its Head of Customer Engagement , Emeka Muonaka, said that “the efforts of these staff and their teams is a symbol of the kind of company we are.

“For us, customer satisfaction is everything. It is something we value greatly and the only way to achieve it is through excellent service. AXA Mansard is grateful to these staff members for their hard work and for placing that a great level of importance on their jobs and on giving service to their team.

Continue Reading

Business

Operators brace up for multi-billion claims settlement

Published

on

Ganiyu Musa 330x220 1 Operators brace up for multi-billion claims settlement


Following
 the mass looting and destruction of many government offices, banks, shopping malls, media houses, toll plazas, and private offices by suspected hoodlums during the #EndSARS protests across Nigeria, the insurance industry has indeed incurred huge claims.

In fact, industry analysts are of the view that the claims arising from these massive destructions of both private and public properties will certainly and immediately shake the balance sheets of underwriters this year.

These experts have also expressed concerns on the ability of the sector to meet up with payment of claims which is expected to run into hundreds ofbillions. They opined that the claims may overwhelm operators if the government fails to extend any form of assistance especially, now that the sector is in the middle of a recapitalisation exercise.

Though the value of properties looted and vandalised has not been disclosed by the industry, financial analysts who spoke on various media platforms stated that insurers should be prepared to pay claims in billions to policyholders especially those who have the Riots, Strikes and Civil Commotion (RSCC) in their policies.

According to the National Insurance Commission (NAICOM), insurance companies paid a total non-life insurance claims of N64 billion in 2018 compared to N56.4 billion in 2017. Out of this total, claims on fire insurance were about N9.1 billion while Motor Vehicle was N17.3 billion

Deducing from this massive vandalism of properties across the country, it is obvious that the sector will indeed be paying out huge claims.

Notwithstanding, insurers under the umbrella body of the Nigeria Insurers Association (NIA) have assured policyholders of claims settlement arising from the #EndSARS riots.

The Chairman of NIA, Ganiyu Musa, who said this in an interview stated that Loss Adjusters are currently on sites of the affected companies and business evaluating the extent of damages done.

He also noted that assessment of claims is currently ongoing across the various insurance companies as some of them have started getting notification of claims from policyholders.

Musa, however, noted that claims from these damages will have an immediate negative impact in companies’ liquidity, balance sheet and cash flow but essentially, insurance was built for times as these and this is why people take up policies.

He assured that all policyholders both individuals and businesses with valid insurance policies that have been paid for, will be duly compensated as all members of the NIA will indemnify and provide them the necessary payout in line with the terms of their policies.

He said, “policyholders with valid claims have nothing to fear. This is why you took insurance, for times as these. If you are in doubt on how to start processing your claims, you can get in touch with your insurance company or brokers. They will put you through the claims process.

“For those that have not taken or do not have any form of insurance policy, this is the best time to do so because this is the essence of insurance. Times like these reveal the importance of having insurance policies,” Musa said.

On its part, AIICO Insurance Plc has stated its readiness to meet its obligations to customers who have covers for incidents that occurred from the riots.

In a chat with Daily Sun, the Managing Director/CEO, Babatunde Fajemirokun, said the losses incurred from the riots in terms of human lives and assets are enormous and have had tremendous effect on individuals and businesses, both small and large.

“Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected in one way or another. I assure you that as a company, we are doing all that is necessary to see our customers through this phase. We are asking our customers with covered cases to contact us for immediate assistance with claims.”

He added, “the year 2020 and all we have experienced as a nation are tailwinds, propelling us forward and helping us to evolve. Indeed, the injection of new imagination, energy and innovative thinking into our national discourse will take us there.

“The company’s claims profile over the years provides insights into its unwavering commitment to claims settlement and benefits payment. In 2019, over N30 billion was paid out to its customers. This followed N29.1 billion paid in 2018 and N23.3 billion in 2017,” Fajemirokun said.

Also, Consolidated Hallmark Insurance (CHI) Plc, announced that it is set to settle claims of policyholders whose policies cover Strike, Riot and Civil Commotion extension.

The company stated this in a mail sent to all its policyholders and stakeholders across the country, noting that such claims, like all others, would be promptly handled to ensure that customers are back in business as quickly as possible.

While calling on the victims of the #EndSARS protests to file their claims through the company’s website and customer care centre, the firm assured the aggrieved policyholders that they would be attended to passionately.

Similarly, the Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Universal Insurance Plc, Ben Ujoatuonu, said insurance companies would pay for every cover that extends to riot and commotion, but will not pay for covers that exclude riots and commotion.

He said: “it depends on the cover the company or individual has bought. If the policy excludes riot and civil commotion, then the insured will not receive any indemnity from his insurance company.”

He, however, stated that some policies might have been extended to cover riot and civil commotion, in such situation liability will attach.

He noted that for most of the companies that got their insurance policies through brokers, there is every likelihood that they would have bought such extension.

Continue Reading

Business

Nigerian Government Moves To Reduce Data Cost From N1 , 000 To N390 Per Gigabyte

Published

on

images 2020 10 28T153533.267 Nigerian Government Moves To Reduce Data Cost From N1 , 000 To N390 Per Gigabyte

The Executive Vice Chairman, EVC, of the Nigeria Communication Commission, Umar Danbatta, has revealed that the Ministry of Communication and Digital Economy is planning to reduce the cost of data from N1,000 to N390 per gigabyte.
Speaking to journalists in Kano on Saturday, Mr Danbatta disclosed that part of the plan was the new national broadband plan for the year 2020-2025, which says Nigeria must provide broadband connectivity, cover virtually all parts of the country and deploy 4G infrastructure also across the country.
According to him, the ministry was tasked to come up with a digital economy policy and strategies, adding that all the efforts put in place are intended to bring the cost of data down to N390 as against the N1,000 that Mobile Network Operators, MNOs, are charging.
“Actually the cost has come down to N1,000/gigabyte of data, but the government is saying that we should be targeting N390 in the next 3 to 5 years.
To achieve subsidized data cost, according to Mr Dambatta, the country must provide pervasive broadband data infrastructure.
“We need pervasive broadband data infrastructure because at the landing point in Lagos, where we have all the submarine cables. You know, that is why we have them. There is the main cable, 133, West African Sea Cable (WASC). And there is the other one which Glo company is trying to deploy.
“This, combined, have data capacity of 40 terabyte. This data capacity is at the landing point in Lagos. That is from the coast, where there is ocean. Until and unless you move this massive 40 terabyte data capacity into the hinterland because the undersea cables are terminating in Lagos.
“Hinterland consists virtually all the major cities of the country and the 774 Local Governments of Nigeria. Through this way you will be meeting demands for data with appropriate or commensurate supply of data. This is how it will enable Nigerians to pay less data tariff.
“But this massive capacity of data at landing cost can’t move itself. There is the need to build fibre cables that can carry this capacity to the hinterland.
“We are indeed pursuing the plan. There is infrastructure and company licensing framework that could give the companies the ability to afford to sell the data to the retail agents, who will sell the data to the citizens,” he explained.
At the moment, he added, the plan is not happening but is what the country intends to do to bring the cost of data down from N1,000 /gig to N390/gig, adding that the plan is an important policy of the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
The EVC however said Nigeria is among the countries with lowest data cost in the whole Africa.
“Following observation of the ranking, which was carried out by reputable global organizations, the commission had found out that Nigeria stands in 4th position among the countries with lowest data tariff on the continent,” Mr Danbatta said.
He said Nigeria’s data cost is more than $2, adding that South Africa, despite her economic development, sells data higher than Nigeria and the country is not even among the lowest.
“It is true that Nigerians are yearning for low data prices. Nigeria has one of the lowest data tariff in Africa. When we observed the rankings by global reputable organizations, we discovered that in the rankings of data services and cost, we are like number 4.
“Virtually all the African countries were listed in the ranking. Our data price is $2 and a few cents.
“In South Africa, despite their economic development, they sell data higher than Nigeria. To be honest with you, South Africa is not even among the lowest. Cost of data services doesn’t need to come down,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending