Connect with us

Latest News

Edo Election : I Won ‘ t Challenge Obaseki’ s Victory – Ize – iyamu

Published

on

images 22 Edo Election : I Won ' t Challenge Obaseki’ s Victory - Ize - iyamu

Candidate of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) in the recently conducted September 19 Edo Governorship election, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, says he will not be challenging the victory of Governor Godwin Obaseki in court.
Ize-Iyamu stated this in a personally signed statement forwarded on Monday. He, however, said he would pursue pending pre-election cases against Obaseki, saying the governor has refused to discontinue similar cases against himself(Ize-Iyamu) and his deputy, Gani Audu.
Foremost lawyer and Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Chief Wole Olanipekun, is leading four other SANs in cases of certificate forgery and perjury instituted against Obaseki and his deputy, Philip Shaibu, at a Federal High Court in Benin City. The APC and a member of the party, Mr. Edobor Williams, instituted the cases.
The plaintiffs are asking the court to disqualify the governor and his deputy from participating in the September 19 governorship election in the state as well as prevent their party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), from fielding any candidates in the election.
In two separate suits the plaintiffs accused the duo of Obaseki and Shaibu of lying on oath and submitting false documents to INEC to aid their qualifications in the election. According to them, the alleged offences of the defendants run contrary to the provisions of the Electoral Act 2010, as amended, and the punishment is automatic disqualification.
The plaintiffs are also asking the court to bar the PDP from participating or representing itself in the September 19 governorship election for sponsoring ineligible candidates.
The plaintiffs also want the court to declare that Obaseki’s claim that he worked with Afrinvest Limited from 1994 to 2014, when he retired, was false.
Aside the alleged falsification of documents and lying on oath, the plaintiffs want the PDP standard bearers disqualified on the grounds that the waiver granted them by the PDP last month contravened section 177 of the 1999 Constitution.
In the other suit marked FHC/B/CS/75/2020, which has Shaibu, PDP and INEC as first, second and third respondents, respectively, the plaintiffs, apart from accusing Shaibu of also parading false academic documents, want him disqualified for presenting forged tax clearance certificate to INEC in 2006 in aid of his qualification for the 2007 House of Assembly election in Edo State in 2007.
On Shaibu’s academic record, the plaintiffs claimed discrepancies and alleged forgery in his WAEC result, adding that Shaibu’s claim that he obtained a Master of Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Benin in 2012 was false.
The Federal High Court sitting in Benin City, the Edo State capital, on Monday, August 17, 2020, granted the application of the All Progressives Congress (APC) to serve court processes on Governor Obaseki, and his deputy, Shaibu through the office of the Attorney General of the state.
The Federal High Court 1, Benin City, presided over by Justice M.G. Umar in Suit No. FHC/B/CS/74/202: All Progressive Congress & Anor v. Godwin Nogheghase Obaseki and Ors, and Suit No. FHC/B/CS/75/2020: All Progressives Congress & Anor. v. Phillip Shaibu & Ors, after hearing Counsel for the APC, Victor Ohiosuma Esq., leading P.E. Uwadiae Esq., ordered substituted service of the Originating Processes in the matter, on the governor and his deputy.
This was sequel to the facts deposed to in affidavits in support of the application filed seeking for an Order of Substituted Service, the evasiveness of both Obaseki and Shaibu to receive the Originating Processes in respect of the said matters that question the academic qualifications of both the governor and his deputy in standing in as candidates of the PDP in the election.
Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party had defeated Ize-Iyamu in a keenly contested election which was deemed free and fair by many observers including President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress – both have equally congratulated the governor.
But in the statement forwarded on Monday, Pastor Ize-Iyamu insisted that the election was marred by violence, irregularities while alleging cancelling of votes in areas he had won and massive falsification of results.
The APC candidate however said as a democrat, he won’t be going to the Edo Election Petitions Tribunal out of respect for President Muhammadu Buhari, the All Progressives Congress national body (who had earlier congratulated Obaseki) and to avoid tension in the state but would continue with the pending pre-election cases in court.

Continue Reading
Comments

Education

Oyo state order the closing of schools due to danger of the #END SARS PROTEST.

Published

on

images 63 2 Oyo state order the closing  of schools due to danger of the #END SARS PROTEST.

This is to inform all parents and guidance that there will be no school till announcement from state Government.
Also if our area is not safe, pls call the principal to make arrangement on how to pick up the students today. Thanks
School Management.

SSS 3 students should listen to news as regards the Neco exam for tomorrow’s paper. If their is no information, then they are to leave their respective homes as soon as possible.

Continue Reading

Local News

Protesters Launch Soro Soke Online Radio

Published

on

images 61 2 Protesters Launch Soro Soke Online Radio

‘Soro Soke’ is a Yoruba statement which means ‘Speak upThe establishment of Soro Soke radio by the #EndSARS protesters is urging everyone to speak up, air their views and grievances against any unjust systemSoro Soke radio which has gone live will also serve as a platform to report missing persons.

Soro Soke radio can be accessed by clicking on the link below:
https://s4.radio.co/s99d55c85b/listen

The protest began to fight the wrongs of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

Nigerians took to social media to commend the establishment of the online radio.

Continue Reading

Local News

Akwa Ibom Youths Give FG Seven Days Ultimatum To Take Over Zamfara Gold

Published

on

images 60 3 Akwa Ibom Youths Give FG Seven Days Ultimatum To Take Over Zamfara Gold

The youths said at a press conference in Uyo on Tuesday said that the gold in Zamfara belonged to the Federal Government and Governor Bello Matawalle had no right to sell the gold bar to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)Leader of Young Democratic Movement, Kuseme Idiong and Speaker, South South Youth Assembly, Comrade Victor Thompson stated that proceeds from the sale of Zamfara gold should be shared among all the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT), as is done with the oil proceeds from the Niger Delta.

Akwa Ibom Youths under the auspices of Young Democratic Movement (YDM), and South South Youth Assembly have given the Federal Government seven days ultimatum to take over the gold in Zamfara state currently controlled by the state government.

The youths said at a press conference in Uyo on Tuesday said that the gold in Zamfara belonged to the Federal Government and Governor Bello Matawalle had no right to sell the gold bar to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN).

‘Paper industry, a goldmine for investors’
Resource control: Omo-Agege faults Zamfara ownership of gold deposits
Leader of Young Democratic Movement, Kuseme Idiong and Speaker, South South Youth Assembly, Comrade Victor Thompson stated that proceeds from the sale of Zamfara gold should be shared among all the 36 states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT), as is done with the oil proceeds from the Niger Delta.


They noted that the Constitution of Nigeria stipulates that mines and minerals including oil fields, oil mining, geological surveys and natural gas in states are exclusively under the control of the Federal Government, and wondered why the FG has not taken over the gold in Zamfara.

They described the action of Zamfara state governor as an act of lawlessness and impunity, and called on the Executive and Legislative arm of government to rise up against it.

They stated that failure of the FG to take over the mineral resources found in Zamfara state would force them to embark on a nationwide protest and call out youths in the country to join.

The groups further demanded an upward review of the derivation funds paid to Niger Delta states saying oil-producing states were not actually paid the 13 percent.

“That both the Executive and the Legislative arm of the Federal Government should rise against this act of lawlessness and impunity from the perpetrators of the sale of Zamfara Gold.Details of both past and present gold or other mineral sales should be made public and proceeds should be shared among all the states as in the case of Oil derivatives from the Niger Delta region.

“The Federal Executive Council and the National Assembly should revisit the derivative funds formula for oil-rich Niger Delta states as oil-producing states are fed below the 13% derivation.

“Failure to upwardly review the derivative funds formula for oil-rich Niger Delta states, the Federal Government must allow Niger Delta to directly sell her oil just as the recent case of Zamfara gold bar.

“We give the Federal Government up till Saturday, October 24, 2020 to give a robust and satisfactory response to our demands else the Youths of Niger Delta shall on Tuesday, October 26, 2020 embark on a Nationwide protest drawing the attention of the international community to this terrible situation. We must warn that we will not leave the streets until our demands are met,” the group stated.

Continue Reading

Trending