Connect with us

Sports

Akpoguma: FIFA Approves Ex- German Youth Star’s Switch To Nigeria

Published

on

images 2 2 Akpoguma: FIFA Approves Ex- German Youth Star’s Switch To Nigeria

Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) President, Amaju Pinnick has confirmed Fifa’s approval of Kevin Akpoguma to switch allegiance to Nigeria.
The defender was born to a German mother and a Nigerian father and has represented Germanyat various youth levels.
Akpoguma is, however, still eligible to feature for the Super Eagles since he is yet to play for the European country’s senior team.
*The centre-back has been delivering consistent performances for Bundesligaside Hoffenheimsince joining the club in 2015.
Last season, he made 18 league appearances for the Kraichgauer to help his side finish sixth in the campaign.
Ahead of the West Africans’ friendlies against Algeriaand Tunisiaon October 9 and 13 respectively, Pinnick revealed the 25-year-old has been given the green light to play for Nigeria.
“I’m extremely happy to announce that Fifa has just granted Hoffenheim defender and former German U20 national team skipper Kevin Ufuoma Akpoguma permission to make his switch to Nigeria with immediate effect,” Pinnick tweeted.
Akpoguma has already linked up with Gernot Rohr’s men in Austria, who are preparing for their games against the Desert Foxes and the Carthage Eagles.
#SoarSuperEagles #Team9jaStrong pic.twitter.com/6DiVfd8Tzc— (@NGSuperEagles) October 5, 2020
Last month, Super Eagles coach Rohr explained how he convinced the defender to make his switch to the three-time African champions.
“It was not my job to convince [Kevin] Akpoguma to come and play for Nigeria. I had a good conversation with him and his family while watching several games in Hoffenheim,” Rohr said.
“After the matches, we met and could talk. I presented our projects and I could speak about the team, about this incredible period in the Super Eagles and my vision for the team.
“He was sold on this and would love to be a part of the team and play in big international competitions like the Africa Cup of Nationsor even the World Cup.
“We are very happy about the decision of Kevin Akpoguma to switch from Germany to Nigeria. Because he played for Germany at youth level, the process is not finished yet because Fifa must give the authorisation.
“He has fulfilled the written request to the switch and we only await the good news that he can finally play for us.”
Having been cleared by Fifa, Akpoguma could play a part in Super Eagles’ friendlies in Austria.

Continue Reading
Comments

Sports

Real Madrid ‘should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus’

Published

on

skysports cristiano ronaldo 5138440 Real Madrid 'should never have let Cristiano Ronaldo leave for Juventus'

Cristiano Ronaldo is a “machine of sacrifice” who should never have been allowed to leave Real Madrid, according to Shakhtar Donetsk head coach Luis Castro.

The six-time Ballon d’Or winner scored a club-record 450 goals for Madrid and won 15 trophies during his nine years in the Spanish capital.

He left for Juventus in a mega-money deal in July 2018 and has maintained his impressive form with 68 goals in all competitions, helping his side to successive Serie A titles.

That includes a return of a combined 69 goals and assists in the Italian top flight since the start of 2018-19 – two more than next best Ciro Immobile at Lazio.

Ahead of Shakhtar’s Champions League Group B opener with Madrid on Wednesday, Castro has questioned the LaLiga giants’ decision to let the superstar forward depart.

“When you have Cristiano on your team you should never let him go. Never,” he told Marca.World’s greatest
“We are talking about the best, the most effective footballer in the world, a machine, a machine of sacrifice.”

Ronaldo was crowned the world’s best player five times at Madrid and once during his spell with Manchester United, where he spent six seasons after joining from Sporting CP.

And Castro argued the Portugal international has done enough throughout his career to rightly be considered the greatest player to have ever played the game.

“I do not like to compare. But yes, for me he is the best,” Castro said. “Cristiano has a story behind him that is exemplary.

“He moved at just 11 years of age to Lisbon to be a footballer, leaving his home. Cristiano is someone that has risen alone, with a unique determination.

Continue Reading

Sports

Man United leave Harry Maguire and Edinson Cavani at home for PSG clash

Published

on

images 32 4 Man United leave Harry Maguire and Edinson Cavani at home for PSG clash

The 33-year-old did not travel to the French capital with the first-team squad on Monday and is expected to continue training back at the club’s Carrington base this week.

There are reports claiming that the Uruguayan could still make his own way to Paris for the match but it appears unlikely considering he was not at Manchester airport.Club captain Harry Maguire also did not travel with the group despite starring and scoring in the Red Devils’ 4-1 win over Newcastle at the weekend.

There were hopes Cavani could make his United debut at the ground where he became PSG’s all-time leading scorer and fans’ favourite during a seven-year career in France.

However, Cavani may not have to wait until the weekend to make his first appearance for the club, when they welcome Chelsea to Old Trafford.

PSG boss Thomas Tuchel believes Cavani is still one of the best strikers in world football but played down any significance of a potential return for the Uruguayan.Cavani left the club as a free agent in the summer – missing PSG’s run to the Champions League final – and joined United on deadline day.

He has been in quarantine for the last two weeks and only trained with his new team-mates twice.

‘He lives for goals and scoring,’ said Tuchel. ‘When he has the confidence, he is one of the best No 9s in world football. If you play for so long in a club like ours and have such a connection with the fans, you have character and he deserves the appreciation.

‘He will be there in training from the first until the last minute, and in the game from the first second until the last second. On the player’s departure after refusing to sign a contract extension to he could play in the latter stages of the Champions League in Portugal, Tuchel played down suggestions that Cavani will have a point to prove.

‘I was hoping obviously to play in Portugal with everybody in my squad. It wasn’t just my team other teams had their issues,’ he added.

‘It wasn’t just Edi. Covid made the whole situation really complicated and this was for many teams not just us.



Continue Reading

Sports

Former Blues striker believes Kepa is now the third choice keeper at Chelsea

Published

on

images 31 4 Former Blues striker believes Kepa is now the third choice keeper at Chelsea

The £72million stopper was signed from Athletic Bilbao two years ago and was intended to become the club’s long-term No 1.

Initially it looked as though Chelsea had replaced former keeper Thibaut Courtois with someone of similar standing, although there have always been questions asked about the Spain international’s ability and character.

Blues boss Frank Lampard dropped Kepa at times last season and signed Rennes goalkeeper Edouard Mendy in the summer to remedy the situation.

Due to Mendy’s recent injury he has had to rely on Kepa once more, with the 26-year-old starting in their 3-3 draw with Southampton on Saturday.

It was a poor display at the back from Chelsea as they chucked away a 2-0 and then 3-2 lead to draw with the Saints.

Kepa had another poor afternoon and was at fault for Che Adams’ goal after rushing out and failing to claim the ball.Cascarino who made 40 appearances for Chelsea between 1992-94 believes his latest gaffe will see the Spaniard move down the pecking order at Stamford Bridge.

The former Blues forward told : ‘He’s gone from No 1 to No 2 goalkeeper, and after (the Southampton) performance he’s probably No 3 now.

‘He won’t even make the bench now as (Willy) Caballero will be No 2.

‘I’m a bit surprised (Lampard) chose to play Kepa; he doesn’t fancy Kepa and it’s obvious.’Caballero has done very little wrong, but because they’ve paid such a high fee for a player they need to justify playing him to give him an opportunity to perform.’

Former Manchester City keeper Caballero was Kepa’s understudy last season and has proved himself to be adequate back-up, however at the age of 39 he is unlikely to feature regularly for the Blues.

Frank Lampard will be concerned his side’s defensive frailties will cost them this season, the draw with Southampton was already the second time in five league fixtures that Chelsea have conceded three goals in a game.

Continue Reading

Trending