Connect with us

Local News

FEC Approves N654 Million To Monitor Illegal Radio Frequencies In South – East

Published

on

images 31 1 FEC Approves N654 Million To Monitor Illegal Radio Frequencies In South - East

The Federal Executive Council has approved the sum of N653,886,584 to procure and deploy a hybrid spectrum monitoring system that will cover the southern part of the country, most importantly the south-east.
The Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, Issa Pantami, disclosed this on Wednesday, at the end of the 18th virtual Federal Executive Council meeting presided by President Muhammadu Buhari at State House in Abuja.
According to him, the investigation carried out in five geo-political zones, the north-east, north-west, north-central, south-west and south-south, revealed that out of the 320 frequencies discovered, 106 were illegal and based on the advice of the Attorney General and Minister of Justice, the illegal frequencies will be prosecuted.
Mr Pantami described the use of illegal frequencies in the country which according to him, has become very rampant, as worrisome.
He explained that the initial monitoring did not cover the southeastern part of the country, hence the need for the council’s approval.

Continue Reading
Comments

Local News

Looted palliatives not owned by Oyo – Commissioner

Published

on

images 2020 10 24T185348.765 Looted palliatives not owned by Oyo – Commissioner

The Oyo State Government has said that the palliatives that were looted by hoodlums on Friday at a warehouse in the Akobo area of Ibadan , the state capital, did not belong to the state government .
Stressing that the Governor Seyi Makinde – led administration would not short – change the people , the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters , Bayo Lawal , urged members of the public to discountenance the misinformation being spread on social media.
Some hoodlums had attacked a private warehouse belonging to a company in Ibadan carting away bags of rice believed to have been hoarded by the government .
Lawal , who doubles as chairman , Food Security and Palliative Committee of the Oyo State COVID -19 Task Force, said the state was not supplied rice as part of the palliatives from CACOVID and that it did not, at any time , distribute rice as part of the palliatives to the people .
He said, “ Investigations revealed that there was nothing that concerns the Oyo State government in that warehouse. The warehouse belongs to a private individual who operates in Oyo State and was given a valid contract by the Coalition Against COVID – 19 , a coalition of private organisations that have been helping states and the Federal Government to fight COVID -19 .
“ So, it was the rice that he procured on his own for repackaging that was mistaken to be Oyo State ’s , that hoodlums looted . ”
The Commissioner stated that the state government could not hoard what it did not have , explaining that CACOVID supported the state with cash , medical items and food items including Indomie and Spaghetti .
He said , “ It was really a big shock earlier this morning ( Friday morning ) when I started receiving calls alleging that food items meant for distribution to the masses were being hoarded . But when I enquired further , I was told that the bags of rice were looted in one of our warehouses in Ibadan , in Lagelu Local Government , to be precise . We don ’t even have any warehouse outside the secretariat.
“ All the palliatives given to us were stored in our warehouses within the secretariat , not outside. Whatever is being circulated that Oyo State was hoarding CACOVID -donated rice is wrong and baseless allegation .
“ We want the public to know that though CACOVID gave us indomie , spaghetti, there was nothing like rice . We are still expecting their rice up till today. The rice , which was looted , belonged to a private company that happens to be a CACOVID vendor for other states.”
The CACOVID vendor whose warehouse was vandalised , Alabi Adeoye , stated that the looted bags of rice at the warehouse were meant to be supplied to Abia , Cross-Rivers , Plateau and Taraba States , disclosing that his company , which has been operating in Oyo State in the past five years, lost millions of naira to the attack .
“ Our facility was vandalised and food items worth millions of naira were carted away . Property that was vandalised was worth millions of naira , ” Adeoye was quoted as saying in the statement .

Continue Reading

Local News

Plateau govt did not hoard looted palliatives – Commissioner

Published

on

images 2020 10 24T143323.575 Plateau govt did not hoard looted palliatives – Commissioner

Plateau State Government on Saturday denied that it hoarded the palliatives looted by hoodlums and other citizens at various warehouses in the state
The Punch had reported that the warehouses at the Bukuru metropolis in Jos South LGA and that located at the JIB premises along Old Airport junction where palliatives were stored were on Saturday looted by hoodlums as well as residents after they broke into their premises accusing the state government of hoarding them .
But the state Commissioner for Information , Dan Manjang, in a statement in Jos on Saturday denied hoarding the relief materials and explained that the items at the warehouses were delivered to the state by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Social Development and Disaster Management for distribution to beneficiaries in Plateau State.
The Commissioner said ” Following the vandalization and looting of palliatives from some warehouses in Jos and Bukuru on 24 th October 2020 , it has become expedient for the Plateau State Government to condemn the action and further make some clarifications about the items to clear the erroneous impression that they were being hoarded .
“ The items at the warehouses were delivered to the state by the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Social Development and Disaster Management for distribution to beneficiaries in Plateau State.
“ The public may recall that the Hon . Minister of Humanitarian Affairs Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouk was in Jos together with the Minister of Women Affairs Dame Paullen Tallen on the 16 th October 2020 to deliver the items and had indeed brought in the personnel of the Ministry to carry out the distribution in conjunction with State officials . However, as they were preparing to begin the process , the # ENDSARS protests began which put the process on hold.
“ Unfortunately while the team from the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Social Development and Disaster Management alongside the state representatives were waiting for the coast to clear to commence the distribution , the stores were breached and the items carted away .
“ The Plateau State Government , therefore , wishes to state categorically that it did not hoard any palliatives meant for the citizens of the State at any time . All the palliatives purchased by the State and those donated by private individuals were distributed equitably by the State Palliative Committee headed by His Excellency Prof. Sonni Tyoden , Deputy Governor of Plateau State.
“ With this explanation , it would be wrong and mischievous for anyone to suggest that the State Government was hoarding food items meant for indigent citizens. The Rescue Administration of Governor Simon Lalong will never tolerate that.
“ Government wishes to once again appeal to the citizens particularly the youths to continue to conduct themselves peacefully and avoid any action that could cause the breakdown of law and order .
“ The Government wishes to remind citizens that directive for the ban on protests and procession is still in force and security agencies still have the mandate to arrest and prosecute those who violate the order .

Continue Reading

Local News

Edo Jailbreak: Governor Obaseki Gives Escaped Prisoners One Week To Return

Published

on

images 2020 10 24T142744.362 Edo Jailbreak: Governor Obaseki Gives Escaped Prisoners One Week To Return

Obaseki extends ultimatum, gives fleeing inmates one week to return
Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo State has extended the ultimatum issued to fleeing inmates to return by one week, till Friday, October 30, 2020.
The governor, who had given the fleeing inmates till today to return, said the extension by one week followed the positive response so far observed within the last few hours.
The hoodlums hijacked the #EndSARS protests against police brutality to invade two correctional facilities in Benin City during the week, freeing about 2,000 prisoners in the process.
In a statement on Friday by Obaseki’s Special Adviser on Media and Communication Strategy, Crusoe Osagie, the governor said this was the outcome of a Security Meeting held with heads of security agencies in the state today.
“The extension of the ultimatum is as a result of the positive response from the prisoners, as a good number of them have since returned to the two correctional facilities. The new window is to allow more prisoners to return to the centres willingly,” the statement quoted Obaseki as saying.
The governor also reviewed the curfew time in the state to commence from 6pm to 6am daily, as against 4pm to 6am.
The adjustment would take effect from Saturday, October 24, 2020, the statement added.

Continue Reading

Trending